Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Is That So, Drake...?



So, this weekend, while enjoying the Olympics and perusing the Internet, I ran across an article with the headline that stated, "Drake Says He's The First Person To Successfully Rap and Sing".  The statement Drake made was during an interview he conducted with The Jewish Chronicle.  That being the source of such careless verbiage, I decided to start there to confirm its authenticity.

"There were people who incorporated melody before me, but I would deem myself the first person to successfully rap and sing."  Hold tha phone!!! You mean he ACTUALLY did make that statement?  Dear Mr. Aubrey Drake Graham, allow me to inform you that Hip Hop did not begin with you...

While you were doing this  Hip Hop was alive and well.

Even long before you looked like this    Hip Hop had long been in existence and was thriving as a music form and culture.  You need not think that you were the first to "successfully rap and sing".  As if...

I mean really...has Drake never heard of Lauryn Hill?  I mean she was with the Fugees in the early 90s, at least Aubrey was old enough by then to know that she was rapping and singing successfully then!


Definitely by the time Lauryn went solo and released "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill", she had garnered a highly successful career of what...? Singing and rapping...

Okay...well maybe Aubry didn't listen to female entertainers.  So what about another early 90s male group, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony

BTH's first EP had this mysterious style included in it.... What was that? Singing and rapping, of course!

I don't know if Drake ever heard of either of these artists or he just didn't think they were successful at the whole singing and rapping thing, but I would suggest he do some Hip Hop 101 before he does his next interview so he doesn't come across as someone completely unaware of the history of the culture.

Oh yea....just for good measure, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that, aside from the two I mentioned, there were a slew of other Hip Hop artists that successfully blended singing and rapping; JaRule, DMX and Biz Markie being a part of that slew.

All in all, Drake, though you may feel like you are Hip Hop, Hip Hop was not birthed when your career began.   



No comments:

Post a Comment